Vacancy Announcement – June 2018
The American Academy of Diplomacy (AAD) is dedicated to strengthening the resources and tools America brings to managing its diplomatic challenges. The Academy accomplishes its mission through outreach programs and panel discussions on American diplomacy, lectures, podcasts, distinguished awards, publications, and writing competitions. Through these activities, the Academy promotes an understanding of the critical importance of diplomacy to serving our nation and enhancing America’s standing in the world. Additionally, the Academy studies critical issues for building a strong professional diplomacy. It works with Congress and the State Department for implementation of its views. The Academy is a nonpartisan, nonprofit membership organization of former U.S. senior ambassadors and high- level foreign policy officials who represent a unique wealth of talent and experience in the practice of American diplomacy.
AAD seeks a highly motivated, organized, and detail-oriented full-time (40 hours per week) Program Director to manage internal operations, expand programming, and assist the President of the Academy, as well as support the heads of the Committees, in particular the Membership, Book, Media and Program Committees. The Program Director reports to the President of AAD, will be an integral part of a small team and will need to be able to work effectively in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision. The Program Director supervises a Program & Financial Assistant and occasional interns. The responsibilities include (but are not limited to) the following:
Program Coordination (approximately 75% of the work)
- Assisting in conceptualization, design and follow up of Academy programs; Overseeing grant/contract compliance with vendors;
- Coordinating program and logistics with Academy speakers and partner organizations for outreach programs and conferences;
- Planning and implementing the Academy’s annual members meeting, annual awards luncheon, and periodic member lunches;
- Organizing, supporting, note-taking and record-keeping of internal Academy Committees ;
- Coordinating print publication projects, such as the annual Membership Directory or the special projects publications, and drafting and producing the Academy’s biannual newsletter;
- Coordinating outreach communications through social media and website updates.
Finances and budget (approximately 15% of the work)
- Working with the Academy’s President to develop and monitor an organization-wide budget, as well as individual program budgets;
- Supporting the fundraising efforts carried out by the President;
- Ensure accuracy and timeliness of all payments to vendors, contractors and employees;
- Tracking/monitoring voluntary contributions, dues, grants and maintaining program and grant documentation;
- Reviewing monthly reconciliations of bank accounts and quarterly reconciliations of the annual budget;
- Coordinating the tax forms and the audit and financial statements process with auditors and accountants.
Management and Administration (approximately 10% of the work)
- Select, train and supervise the Academy program and finance assistant, coordinate the intern(s) in collaboration with the assistant;
- Managing the President’s calendar, acting as source of information for the media and other interested parties;
- Managing the smooth day-to-day functions of the office;
- Coordinating communications with members and third parties.
- At least two years’ experience with event planning and program management, preferably in an organization with an international affairs focus;
- Proficiency in the following software programs: Microsoft Office Suite including Access, Word and Excel, and Google Apps;
- Experience with managing websites; WordPress experience a plus;
- Experience in developing and monitoring budgets, performing and reviewing monthly bank account reconciliations and quarterly budget reconciliations, experience in accounting software a plus;
- Prior experience communicating with/outreach to the media a plus;
- Experience with social media best practices;
- Excellent organizational skills, and the ability to work effectively and independently with minimal supervision;
- Very strong planning skills, attention to detail, and being able to focus on multiple projects at once;
- Strong oral and written communication skills for a business setting;
- Experience as supervisor is a plus.
Application deadline: Application window will close when position is filled.
Anticipated start date for selected candidate: as soon as possible.
Salary: $45,000/year, possibly higher with more experience.
Download the full position description here.
Applicants should email a cover letter and resume to: [email protected] with “Application for Program Director Position” in the subject line. No phone calls please.