Elinor G. Constable
Mrs. Constable began her career as a summer intern for Senator Henry M. Jackson in 1954. From 1955 to 1957, she was an employee relations officer with the U.S. Geological Survey in Washington, DC. In 1957 Mrs. Constable joined the Foreign Service as a foreign affairs officer and then resigned for several years to accompany her spouse abroad. During this time, she was an English teacher part-time at the University of Honduras in Tegucigalpa, 1962 – 1964; volunteer support officer, VISTA/OEO, in Washington, DC, 1964 – 1967; and senior associate, TransCentury Associates, Washington, DC, 1971 – 1972. Mrs. Constable returned to the Department as a Foreign Service officer in 1973 and worked in personnel. She was detailed to the Energy Conservation Task Force at the Department of Commerce, 1973 – 1974, returning to the Foreign Service Institute in 1974 for training. From 1974 to 1975, she was with the Office of Trade until appointed Deputy Director of the Office of Investment Affairs. In 1977 she was on detail as a capital development officer for the Agency for International Development in Islamabad, Pakistan. Mrs. Constable returned to the Department in 1978 as Director of the Office of Investment Affairs; and in 1980 she became Deputy Assistant Secretary for International Finance and Development. From 1983 to 1986, she served as Senior Deputy Assistant Secretary for Economic and Business Affairs, having served as Acting Assistant Secretary from January to July 1985.
Mrs. Constable graduated from Wellesley College (B.A., 1955), and her foreign languages are Spanish and Urdu. She is married to Peter Dalton Constable, and they have three children.